The Making of an Artist: Learning about Architecture
Aspiring architects in the 18th-century RA Schools honed their craft by copying casts taken from classical buildings. This display brings those casts together, revealing another aspect of traditional artistic training.
It was an architect, William Chambers, who delivered the 1768 petition to King George III asking him to support the foundation of an Academy for artists and architects. The newly formed RA Schools taught architecture until the 1950s, and just as aspiring artists were taught to look to classical statues for guidance, would-be architects were required to closely study classical architecture.
The RA Collection includes a large number of architectural casts that were acquired for this purpose. Purchased from 1770 to 1870, many of these casts going on display came from the collection of Sir Thomas Lawrence, the fourth president of the RA. The casts were made from moulds taken directly from the great architectural monuments of ancient Rome. In some cases they now include more detail than the buildings themselves, which have been damaged by weather, pollution, vandalism and overzealous 19th-century restorations.
From 19 May 2018
Mon–Thurs 8am – 7pm
Fri 8am – 10pm
Sat 8am – 7pm
Sun 10am – 6pm
The Dorfman Architecture Court, Burlington Gardens, Royal Academy of Arts