The new RA is the product of a major redevelopment that links our 17th-century mansion on Piccadilly with a grand 19th-century former university building. Designed by Sir David Chipperfield RA, the new campus allows visitors for the first time to wander freely from Burlington House to Burlington Gardens, while opening up new spaces for making, exhibiting and debating art and architecture.
Since 1867, the RA has been based in Burlington House. Back then it was in an airy suburb at the edge of town, but today, we’re at the very centre of a sprawling cosmopolitan city. In 2001, we purchased 6 Burlington Gardens, which sits directly behind Burlington House and once housed the Museum of Mankind. A few years later, we began work on a masterplan that would link the two sites, add more gallery spaces and include a brand new lecture theatre and learning centre. The new RA opened on 19 May 2018, in time for our 250th anniversary. Follow the timeline below to learn more about our historic buildings and how we’ve adapted them to suit the needs of a 21st-century academy.