Louisa Hutton RA
Born: 21 November 1957
Elected RA: 12 March 2014
Louisa Hutton studied at the University of Bristol and the Architectural Association. She worked with Alison + Peter Smithson for four years in the mid eighties. In 1989 she founded her own practice in London, together with Matthias Sauerbruch, which relocated to Berlin in 1993. Sauerbruch Hutton gained international renown for their early and comprehensive engagement with sustainability in architecture and urbanism. The practice currently has projects under construction in Germany, France, Italy, Finland and the UK.
Besides her work as an architect, Louisa Hutton taught at the Architectural Association and is a visiting professor at Harvard Graduate School of Design since 2008. She is a member of the Curatorial Board of the Schelling Architecture Foundation, and was a Commissioner at CABE as well as a member of the first Steering Committee for Germany’s Bundesstiftung Baukultur.
Louisa Hutton and Matthias Sauerbruch were awarded the Erich Schelling Prize in 1998, the Fritz Schumacher Prize for Architecture in 2003, the International Honour Award for Sustainable Architecture in 2010, and the Gottfried-Semper-Award in 2013.