From: Forum of Augustus - Temple of Mars Ultor
RA Collection: Art
On free display in The Dorfman Architecture Court
The Temple of Mars Ultor (the Avenger) was dedicated by Augustus in 2 BC as the centre piece of his new Forum in Rome. This cast is taken from the best preserved pilaster capital of the first order of the interior of the cella. The original from which this cast was taken is now in the Museum at Trajan's Markets, Rome.
The cast was part of the collection of Thomas Lawrence which went to auction on 10 May 1830 at Christie's and was acquired by the Royal Academy.Lawrence’s collection featured over ten other casts from this temple.
915 mm x 630 mm x 413 mm, Weight: 59 kg