From: Forum of Augustus - Temple of Mars Ultor
RA Collection: Art
On free display in The Dorfman Architecture Court
The Temple of Mars Ultor (the Avenger) was dedicated by Augustus in 2 BC as the centre piece of his new Forum in Rome. Three columns of the outer pteron of the south side of the Temple still remain standing. This cast reproduces the fleuron on the southwest side of the middle of the three standing columns.
The cast was part of the collection of Thomas Lawrence which went to auction on 10 May 1830 at Christie's and was acquired by the Royal Academy. Lawrence had about 12 casts from this prominent temple.
450 mm x 500 mm x 400 mm, Weight: 23 kg