From: Santa Maria del Popolo, Rome
RA Collection: Art
On free display in Green Room - North Dining Room
The cast is of the decorated plinth beneath the two pilasters of the monument of the bishop of Burgos, Giovanni Ortega Gomiel (d. 1514) in Santa Maria del Popolo (Rome). It was made by the school of Andrea Bregno and is greatly influenced by ancient models.
This cast was probably part of the collection of Thomas Lawrence which was acquired by the Royal Academy in 1830.
500 mm x 435 mm x 65 mm, Weight: 7.7 kg