From: Vatican Museums (Vatican City)
RA Collection: Art
On free display in The Dorfman Architecture Court
The cast is of a panel now in the Sala delle Muse of the Vatican Museums (no. 536). The panel is decorated with two candelabra between which hangs a garland of oak leaves. Ribbons with round weights at their ends attach the garland to the candelabra and hold the middle of the garland together.
The frame of the panel shows a tulip-and-dart motif. However, only less than half of the right side of the panel and sections of the lower border are ancient. The rest is restoration, probably of the 18th century.
The cast was almost certainly part of the collection of casts of Thomas Lawrence which were sold on auction on 10 May 1830 and acquired by the Royal Academy.
790 mm x 1220 mm x 155 mm, Weight: 80 kg