From: Vatican Museums (Vatican City)
RA Collection: Art
On free display in The Dorfman Architecture Court
The cast shows part of a pilaster which is now in Museo Chiaramonti of the Vatican Museum. The original object was purchased in 1803 and is dated on the basis of the carving and motifs to the late first or early second century AD.
It was part of the collection of casts of Thomas Lawrence which were sold on auction on 10 May 1830 and acquired by the Royal Academy.
565 mm x 255 mm x 70 mm, Weight: 7 kg