From: Vatican Museums (Vatican City)
RA Collection: Art
The cast reproduces a cinerarium or cinerary urn of the first half of the first century AD. It is now in the Vatican, in the Galleria dei Candelabri, inv. 2383 (H: 23, W: 33, D: 27.5).
The name of the deceased was probably painted on the panel. The front and sides show motifs typical of Roman funerary art. The natural bounty and festivity of the garland suggest both a special sacred moment and one that passes. The torch at the back also indicates a special occasion and the darkness of the underworld. The hungry birds, representatives of oblivious and needy nature, are also commonplace.
This cast was probably part of the collection of Thomas Lawrence sold at auction on 10 May 1830 and acquired by the Royal Academy.
320 mm x 470 mm x 260 mm