The Curwen Press
RA Collection: People and Organisations
The Curwen Press was founded by the Reverend John Curwen (1816–1880) in Plaistow in east London in 1863 to print music. It was incorporated as J. Curwen & Sons in 1897. Harold Curwen (1885-1949) took over the business in 1914 and began to specialise in well-designed work. After 1920, Oliver Simon (1895-1956) extended Curwen's reputation for good typography and design to book-work. The Press employed many important artists and designers, including Edward Ardizzone RA, Barnett Freedman, Edward Bawden RA, Claud Lovat Fraser, Paul Nash RA, Eric Ravilious RA and Albert Rutherston.
In 1933 the Curwen Press Ltd separated from J. Curwen & Sons (which continued as a music publisher until 1969). The original directors were Harold Curwen, and Oliver and his brother Herbert Simon (1898-1974). The business suffered extensive war damage. In 1964 it merged with M. R. Harley & Co. and in 1965 Basil Harley became managing director. Under him, Curwen developed its business in high-quality colour lithography, notably for natural-history illustration. Letterpress work gradually declined in importance. Curwen Prints Ltd, a workshop for the production of artists' prints, became a separate business in 1968. Curwen Press closed in 1984. The Curwen Studio survives as an independent studio. [Curwen Press website].
James Maude Richards
High Street / written by J.M. Richards; illustrated by Eric Ravilious - London: 1938
Edward Wadsworth ARA
Sailing-ships and barges of the western Mediterranean and Adriatic seas : a series of copper plates engraved in the line manner / by Edward Wadsworth ; and coloured by hand, with an introduction and brief descriptions, by Bernard Windeler - London: 1926
Sir Sacheverell Sitwell Bt
Old fashioned flowers / by Sacheverell Sitwell ; illustrated by John Farleigh - London: 
Bubu of Montparnasse / by Charles-Louis Philippe ; with illustrations by Leonard Rosoman and introduction by Alan Ross - London: 1952