Richard and Arthur Taylor
RA Collection: People and Organisations
Printer and publisher established by the naturalist Richard Taylor (1781-1858) in London in the early 19th century. After serving his apprenticeship Taylor for a short time carried on a printing business in partnership with a Mr. Wilks in Chancery Lane; but on 18 May 1803 he established himself in partnership with his father in Blackhorse Court, Fleet Street, subsequently removing to Shoe Lane, and finally to Red Lion Court, Fleet Street, where the firm ultimately developed into Taylor & Francis. His younger brother Arthur was his partner from 1814 to 1823, and his nephew, John Edward Taylor, joined him from 1837 to 1851, Dr. William Francis, subsequently head of the firm, becoming his partner in the following year. Taylor and his partners produced major works in natural history, as well as fine editions of the classics. [source: wikipedia].