RA Collection: People and Organisations
Phillips was founded in London in 1796 by Harry Phillips, formerly senior clerk to James Christie. Harry Phillips died in 1840 and the business was inherited by his son, William Augustus Phillips. 1879 William Augustus changed the name to Messrs Phillips & Son. In 1882 William brought his son Frederick Neale into the company and it was renamed Phillips, Son & Neale. The company was renamed in the 1970s as Phillips.