RA Collection: People and Organisations
The Grosvenor Gallery was an art gallery at 135-137 New Bond Street, London founded in 1877 by Sir Coutts Lindsay and his wife Blanche. Its first directors were J. Comyns Carr and Charles Hallé.
Set up as an alternative to the Royal Academy, the Grosvenor Gallery was devoted to exhibiting works by the Pre-Raphaelites and becoming the focus of the Aesthetic Movement.
Its inaugural exhibition on 1 May 1877 included James Whistler's Nocturne in Black and Gold: The Falling Rocket. John Ruskin's savage review of this work led to a famous libel case, brought by the artist against the critic.
In 1888, after a disagreement with Lindsay, Comyns Carr and Hallé resigned from the gallery to found the rival New Gallery, capturing Burne-Jones and many of the Grosvenor Gallery's other artists.
The Grosvenor Gallery closed in 1890.
A dictionary of artists who have exhibited works in the principal London exhibitions from 1760 to 1893 / compiled by Algernon Graves - London ; Birmingham: 1895
Henry Blackburn, editor
English art in 1884 ; illustrated by facsimile sketches by the artists ; ten full-page steel engravings / edited by Henry Blackburn - New York, 72 Fifth Avenue: 1895
Sir Lionel Henry Cust
Anthony Van Dyck: an historical study of his life and works - London: 1900