George Bell and Sons (London)
RA Collection: People and Organisations
London base book publishing house in business from 1839 to 1986. Originally based in Fleet Street, later at York House, Portugal Street, W.C.
It was founded by George Bell as an educational bookseller, with the intention of selling the output of London university presses; but became best known as an independent publisher of classics and children's books. In 1854 Bell acquired J. & J. J. Deighton, a Cambridge based bookseller which changed its name to Deighton, Bell & Co. In 1856 Bell went into partnership with Frederick Dadly and the firm was renamed Bell & Daldy. In 1888 Bell left the running of the business to his sons Edward and Ernest. In 1910 the firm became a limited liability company, George Bell & Sons, Ltd.
The lives of the most eminent British painters / by Allan Cunningham; annotated and continued to the present time by Mrs. Charles Heaton - London: 1879-1880
The Royal Academy of Arts: a complete dictionary of contributors and their work from its foundation in 1769 to 1904 / by Algernon Graves; compiled with the sanction of the president and council of the Royal Academy - London: 1905-06
Michel Eugène Chevreul
The principles of harmony and contrast of colours and their application to the arts by M. E. Chevreul - London: 1912
Thomas Robert Way
The ancient halls of the city guilds / drawn in lithography by Thomas R. Way, with some account of the history of the companies, by Philip Norman. - London: