We use cookies to improve your experience online. By using our website, you agree to the use of cookies as described in our cookies policy.

search results

Previous Showing result 4 of 13 Next


Ancient Allegorical, Historical, And Legendary Paintings, In Fresco, Discovered In The Summer Of 1804, On The Walls Of The Chapel Of The Trinity, Belonging To The Gilde Of The Holy Cross, At Stratford-Upon-Avon, In Warwickshire, From Drawings Made At The Time Of Their Discovery, By Thomas Fisher, F.S.A. Also, A View And Plan Of The Chapel, A View Of New Place, The Residence Of William Shakspeare, Facsimiles Of Various Grants And Indulgences To The Gilde, With Representations Of One Hundred And Fifty Ancient Seals Appended To Them; Facsimile Extracts From The Register Of The Gilde, The Rolls Of Accounts, &c. - Described By John Gough Nichols, F.S.A. -

RA Collection: Book

Record number


Variant Title

Series of antient, allegorical, historical, and legendary paintings


London:: Henry G. Bohn, 4, York Street, Covent Garden., MDCCCXXXVIII.

Physical Description

[2], 14 p., 20 [incl. front., add. t.pl.] (pl. [19] is dble.), 24 [i.e. 36] pl.; 485 mm. (Folio.)

General Note

In the second seqence of plates pl. 4 occurs ter, 12 quater, 13 quinquies, 14 quinquies. There is no pl. 6 - and no pl. 6 is called for in the List Of Plates.


[Frontis., add. t.pl., t.p.] - Preface - List Of Plates - Description Of The Paintings ...; Index; [colophon] - [Plates].

Responsibility Note

In the both sequences of plates a few are unsigned but most are signed as drawn, engraved (or etched) and published by Thomas Fisher; but in the second sequence some are signed as drawn by Fisher, engraved by Hilkiah Burgess and published by Fisher. The printer is named on the title-page verso and in the colophon: 'J.B. Nichols And Son, 25, Parliament Street.'


M. Twyman, Lithography 1800-1850 (1970). C. Davidson, The Guild Chapel wall paintings at Stratford upon Avon (1988).

Summary Note

This 1838 publication reprints the series of lithographed plates published earlier as A series of antient, allegorical, historical, and legendary paintings, which were discovered in the summer of 1804 on the walls of the Chapel of the Trinity at Stratford-upon-Avon ... (most plates carry dates, of 1807, 1808, 1809, 1810, 1811 or 1812); and adds to them Fisher's descriptive text, first published in 1835 in the Gentleman's Magazine. Fisher made his drawings of the paintings just after they were discovered in 1804. They were soon afterwards whitewashed or destroyed. These are the most highly regarded of Fisher's lithographs - a reproductive technique of which he was an enthusiastic pioneer. In some copies (including that of the Royal Academy) many plates are hand-coloured.


The front pastedown carries the 19th-century armorial bookplate of Leonard L. Hartley Esqr. Purchased for the RA Library in 1885 (probably at the Hartley sale - see RA Annual Report for 1885, p. 46.

Binding Note

19th-century quarter red morocco, green cloth-covered boards; spine lettered 'Fisher's Antiquities At Stratford On Avon' and 'R.A.'


Mural painting and decoration - Church decoration and ornament - Paintings - Frescoes - Seals - Charters - Documentary scripts - Great Britain - Warwickshire - Stratford-Upon-Avon - Guild Chapel - History
Art history - Great Britain - 19th century
Pictorial works - Lithographs - Hand coloring - Great Britain - 19th century


Thomas Fisher, draughtsman, engraver
John Gough Nichols
Henry George Bohn, publisher
Leonard Lawrie Hartley, previous owner
Hilkiah Burgess, engraver
John Bowyer Nichols, printer