21 February 2014
The Cutlers’ Company is one of the most ancient of the City of London livery companies, receiving its first Royal Charter in 1416. Originally established to manage the production and trade of knives and swords, the company shifted its focus to domestic wares like razors, scissors and cutlery. The current hall was designed by T. Tayler Smith in 1888 with the façade decorated by the sculptor Benjamin Creswick. Our tour includes 17th and 18th century stained glass; Jacobean oak panelling; the Victorian hammer-beam roof; and a collection ranging from Stone Age tools to today’s cutlery.