Geoffrey Clarke RA

Profile

Born: 28 November 1924

Died: 30 October 2014

Elected ARA: 24 April 1970

Elected RA: 9 December 1975

Royal Academician

Sculptor

Geoffrey Clarke studied at Preston School of Art from 1940 to 1941 and at Manchester School of Art from 1941 to 1942 before serving in the War with the RAF. He returned to his studying at Lancaster and Morecambe School of Arts and Crafts from 1947 to 1948, before attending the Royal College of Art in 1948, where he remained until 1952. In 1951 he was awarded a Royal College Travelling Scholarship and also received the silver medal at the Milan Triennale for a collaboration with Robin Day, the furniture designer. He returned to the Royal College from 1968 to 1973, where he was Head of Light Transmission and Projection Department.

Clarke’s first solo show was held at Gimpel Fils Gallery, London, in 1952, the same year in which his work was included in the Venice Biennale. In 1965 he had a retrospective at the Redfern Gallery, London and his work was included in British Sculpture in the 1960s exhibition at the Tate Gallery. Similarly, he was selected for British Sculptors ‘72, at the Royal Academy of Arts and for British Sculpture in the Twentieth Century, at the Whitechapel Art Gallery in 1981. In his later career, much of Clarke’s work was commission-based, cast in a foundry in a barn at his home in Suffolk. Clarke’s work is held in many prestigious public and private collections around the world.